It’s been 3 weeks of working as an Aupair in Viladecans, a bustling Catalonian town just south of Barcelona, and I absolutely love it!
It’s such a beautiful place, the weather is amazing (30c heat seems almost normal now), the people are so friendly and the food never seizes to amaze me!
The best thing about being immersed in a different culture is that you get to see and learn so many interesting things, some wonderful and some a bit weird.
Here is a list of some of the most interesting things I’ve learned so far:
- They kiss on both cheeks to say hello and goodbye. Still don’t know which side to kiss first. Must ‘google’ it soon to save anymore embarrassment!
- It’s quite normal to have a whole leg of cured ham laying on the table and dinner time
- Most children here actually learn Catalan first and then learn Spanish afterwards, so your chances of having a pure spanish conversation with a child under 7 is next to nothing.
- You cannot escape GAUDI
- They eat biscuits (as in like Oreos and digestives) for breakfast!
- Popcorn comes in different colours!
- They have strange eating habits. Mountains of food at lunchtime and hardly anything for dinner.
- Most people live in flats/ apartments and often have a shared community pool
- You can buy tapas and a beer for only 1 euro!
- Apparently if you see a Catalonian flag hung outside, it usually means they are in favour of Catalonian independence
- Oddly enough, a lot of the teenagers here look like members of the ‘Jersey Shore’ cast and are known as Cani’s and Chonis’ by the locals
- Be prepared to see plenty of boobies at the beach!
3 weeks down, 3 more to go!
Learnt any weird/interesting facts during your time abroad? I’d love to know! :)